Tuesday, July 5, 2011

She's a ravishing muppet ...

Ok so it was off to see one of Italy's big three .... the leaning tower of Pisa. I remember going up the tower many many (many) years ago and was hoping that Bobbie would get that experience too. Had read that it was a good idea to prebook tickets to go up the tower as they only let 40 people in it at a time. Tried to book it online last night but then found it needs to be booked AT LEAST 15 days in advance. phew. Went straight to the ticket office on arrival and the first available slot was 4.20pm! So unfortunately walking up the tower was not to be. Bobbie did however do the cheesy shot that ALL tourists do - that 'holding up/pushing over' the tower shot. *groan* I've been to Pisa 4 times now and this is the first time I ever did a shot like that - Bobbie made me.

A friend had told Bobbie about a great restaurant call Pacino 2 in Marina di Marma that serves some of the most fantastic seafood. Drove along the coast and on the way we stopped and had a peek at the beach. Looked sooooo inviting - unfortunately neither of us had bought our togs with us .... we did promise ourselves we'd buy some and come back. Finally reached the elusive restaurant only to find it CLOSED. Arrrghhhhhhhh. Had to settle for a little cafe in the village centre which only had 4 biscuits, 4 rice dishes and gelati for sale. I was assured that the rice dish was nice - so I ordered that. While waiting for it to come to the table, I went to use the Bagno (loo). The Bagno was just a nice little ceramic bowl in the ground. It did have feet positions marked on the bowl though. And there was plumbing (a definate plus). Sat back down to the rice dish (cold). Ugh ... I ate roughly half before I thought I was going to start gagging. Lucky I had Sprite to wash it down. When Bobbie went off to use the bowl, the guy came over and questioned whether it was good. I'm sorry, I had to lie ... it looked like we were the only customers for a while (can't understand why?!) ... yes, but I'm soooo full - too much Sprite! *shudder* The gelati was edible thank goodness so topped off with that!

Bobbie was driving today which is really .... um .... interesting? I particularly like the way she sees the pedestrian crossing about 100 metres ahead and starts waving at people to cross (because it appears she has no intention in stopping). They just look at her waving her hand in an agitated manner with unconcerned expressions. I tried explaining that their level of speed in crossing said road was not directly connected to the increasing speed of her gesturing. She really just looked like a muppet gone wrong!

Thoroughly disenchanted with our no fab meal at the closed restaurant, we thought a bit of retail therapy was the solution. The Finn girls had told us about a fashion outlet not far from our Villa so we made our way back there. I had a bit of a sleep in the car while Bobbie drove on the autostrada (it was more relaxing at least!). Poor Bobbie hadn't eaten much ... in fact, only breakfast, as one mouthful of the *ugh* rice dish was enough for her. She exclaimed "Lisa, I am absolutely ravishing"?! Eh? Don't you mean famished? Couldn't stop laughing for a while ... which is dangerous on the autostrade if you're laughing and tears are filling up your eyes. Stop laughing Bobbie ... I want to live!

Reached the mall in (relative) safety ready to spot some bargains from all the big names. Oh they were bargains alright ... just not enough of a bargain for us. Come on ... isn't expecting a $600 pair of shoes for $50 too much to ask for? I really wanted some Christian Dior shoes *drool* .... or the Armani jacket .... or the Gucci handbag. *sigh* ... a thoroughly depressing hour and half watching Pretty Woman remakes happen before my eyes. Holy Cow ... how many bags do you really need to rub it in that we are having no joy here huh???

We left ... full of vitriol and hate .... and longing. Vinnies anyone?

1 comment: