Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Facing Fears and Food Babies

I think I need to inject coffee into Bobbie's bloodstream about an hour before she wakes.  LOL  She's calling me the site-seeing nazi. 

Today was the day.  The day for trepidation.  The day of fear.  The day of the London Eye.  What was I thinking?  I'm afraid of the little kiddie ferris wheels at Floriade ... and here I was standing in line at the biggest flipping ferris wheel (sorry ... but that's what it is - point blank) in the WORLD.  Ugh ... loads of people lining up.  Had read in our little guidebook that peak time is 12-3pm ... we were there at 11am.  It's like when you put ant-rid out and the whole damn nest is soon seething around it.  Grabbed the salt and vinegar crisps (get with the lingo) on the snatch, grab and pay stand while in the line to calm my nerves.  Worked a treat until we had to step into the glass capsule while it was still moving.  What was that about?  Slowly, slowly it inches its way up.  The views are stunning I will say, great photo opportunities too.  But I was feeling very nervous and touched with a little vertigo as I went near the sides and really, the sign that said not to lean on the doors was totally unnecessary I felt.  Bobbie thought it very amusing watching me inch my way around the capsule with my knees glued at times to the wooden bench in the centre.  Oh hardy, ha ha.  I stood close to the edge thinking myself very brave when she decides to give me a little shove from behind.  The American dude found it amusing too.  I wondered out loud if Bobbie would like to go lean on those doors.  Oh yes and jumping up and down was hilarious too ... NOT.  "OOOooooo" it's swaying Lisa"  Pffft, mocking me when the fear factor is legitimate.  I mean seriously, this is the same woman that was scared of the real people in the dark at Madame Tussauds.  Really compleplating taking her to the London Dungeon and LEAVING HER THERE.

Went on the Hop On Hop Off Thames River Cruise which was very interesting and the jokes were worth having a laugh at.  Getting very hungry now so when the tour stopped at Westminster we went into The Red Lion for a feed.  Very appetising menu but when we went to order they said we couldn't order for at least 20 mins ... apparently very busy and I think the cook was under duress.  Sat down and enjoyed our lemonade / wine.  We're perfecting the art of taking selfies so decided to take one with the bar in the background.  Just as we finished taking the photo I noticed the sly, yet totally non-stealthy movements of a photo bomber.  We laughed outloud at him and the resulting photo is brilliant.  So we asked him his name and Bobbie posed for a selfie with him.  Pretty 'Martin' did not speak a lot of English but at least he had a great sense of humour.  Our 20 minute waiting period over, we ordered our Jacket Potatoes ... no, we couldn't have that (they ran out) .... ok, ordered a couple of other things - oooh, lucky ... they were the last ones.  What English Pub runs out of food???  On a main strip?  It was delicious though and an hour and half later we rolled out of there to go visit St Paul's Cathedral.  We arrived there and after some discussion with the ticket lady, we decided we didn't have sufficient time to climb the stairs to the dome.  So we decided tomorrow would be a better option.

Off to Trafalgar Square then .... Bobbie was totally amazed at the sheer amount of people just sitting around and doing nothing more than people perving.  Grabbed a cuppa in the square cafe .. and much to Bobbie's disappointment, found out that it was permissable to drink alcohol in the square.  Sat around for a while and took some great photos  .... but it's the quick or the dead if you want to get a photo in front on the lions.  Some crazy father put his 3 year old up between the Lion's feet - now it's about 7 metres off the ground and stood back to take photos.  Loads of photo had their hearts in the mouths as the little girl jumped from one paw to the other. 

Grabbed a bus, rather than the tube, and chatted to some great little Aussie kids on the way home.  Went for dinner down the road at the Hyde Park Perk Bistro which was super quick service and now we're prostrate on the bed with some serious Food Babies.  Time to hibernate me thinks!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm loving your posts! Quick, where's the next one?????

    ReplyDelete